For about eight months something called the “hallway project” has been at the top of my to-do list. It just never gets fully done. Other projects join the list and get crossed off, but that stubborn hallway hangs onto it’s in progress status with full force.
This project was inspired by a Board and Batten project on Young House Love (YHL). If you don’t know that blog, check it out here. Their DIY skills far exceed my own.
This project is a great example of my 80/20 home because it is not, and will not be perfect. What kept it from being completed for so long was my insistence on trying to make it perfect, and failing.
First I chose the wrong paint colors, and had to repaint the walls. Next I made my wood cuts with a miter saw I borrowed from my friend Heather (who blogs at www.southernabbey.com), and felt pretty good. I painted the wood, and went to attach them to the wall. But I couldn’t figure out how to use my brad nail gun. Then I had the wrong size brads. Then the nails that worked with the gun were too short for the wood. Sigh. Project breakdown. Frustration sets in.
Other bloggers had made this look easy, and I was seriously struggling. Type A me just wanted to get it right, and get it done. I didn’t want to ask anyone for help or take any shortcuts.
80/20 me caved in and realized the brad gun wasn’t going to work. I decided on attaching the boards and lattice using a greener construction adhesive (Eco-Bond), and got to work. Only then did I discover that my cuts were off. My boards were cut too short. I either needed to start over-which was a problem since I had already returned the saw-or suck it up.
That was a hard pill to swallow. For about a month, every time I would walk down the hallway, I’d shutter a little at my mistakes (like the short board on the right of picture below).
But last week, it just stopped bothering me so much. It became one more part of my less than perfect home, and I’m ok with that.
My last steps for the project are to do some caulking and touch up painting, which are on my list for when the twins are at preschool this week. I’ll post a finished project picture.
The hallway project took the Pinterest DIYers 3 days. It’s taken me 8 months and a lot of self acceptance.