We use 100% of our home. It’s not a big home, so that presents some challenges (hello, storage?!), that I have typically handled myself…with mixed results. I like DIY, my husband not so much. Plus, my perfectionist tendencies and my DIY abilities don’t quite match up. And that generally leads to stress. So, I’m hanging up my heavy duty DIY hat and focusing on easy projects that will make my home more organized, more fun, and don’t need to be perfect.
I plan on doing 80% of them myself (with the help of Pinterest, of course), and depending on creative takes on store bought items (aka “hacks”) for the other 20%. I’ll likely get some help from my favorite handyman (my dad), and my favorite crafter/seamstress (my mom), but since my parents live over a hundred miles away, I’ll be on my own most of the time.
In addition to posting my less than perfect home projects, I’ll also post some of the ways I try to make my home less toxic. Creating a natural home is important to me, but it’s also a slightly slippery slope if I take it too far (e.g. making my own laundry detergent at 1 a.m.-hey, I said I was Type A!). The 80/20 goal is that I create a non toxic home for my family without obsessing to the point that the stress I take on is more toxic than the chemicals.